STRANGE NEIGHBOUR DARKROOM
Welcome to the Strange Neighbour Darkroom in the heart of Fitzroy. This well equipped and spacious darkroom offers easy access for the photographic community and is dedicated to promoting and preserving darkroom practice. Darkroom hire is available to everyone who purchases Darkroom Membership and Strange Neighbour also holds a variety of interesting darkroom workshops, courses, screenings & talks.
To access the Strange Neighbour Darkroom, membership is mandatory. Membership ensures all photographers accessing the darkroom are comfortable using the equipment and processes safely and independently. Photographers of all experience levels are welcome from beginners to professionals and we discuss darkroom experience with everyone to ensure needs are met. For people who haven’t worked in a darkroom before, Strange Neighbour darkroom courses provide a fun, easy and much cheaper alternative to learning by trial and error. Private tuition is also available at $75 per hour. Members get priority invitation to darkroom-focused events held at Strange Neighbour throughout the year.
Black and White Darkroom hire includes:
All standard film and paper developing chemistry (Developer, Stop Bath, Fix). We use Ilford Ilfosol (for fine grain films) and Kodak T-MAX film developer (for normal or push process) and Ilford Multigrade paper developer.
An enlarger set up to your specifications (35mm, 120mm & 4x5inch film formats). Black and white printing is wet-tray and caters for prints up to 20” x 30” in size. We have roll developing trays available for mural, wall projection printing. There is an oversize surcharge for roll developing due to the large amounts of chemistry consumed.
Access to both the main darkroom and film developing room, developing tanks, etc. Film processing is available for black and white in 35mm and medium formats.
Gloves, paper towels, and various other standard consumables.
*Members are required to supply their own photographic paper and negative sleeves.
full day (6hrs) $115
10 hrs $180
20 hrs $360
full day (6hrs) $100
* Darkroom hire is capped at 4 people per day. If you wish to hire the darkroom to use alone this is possible with an extra charge, so please speak with us.
* Prices above include GST. Bookings are essential. Cancellation requires 48 hours notice. Hire time can be paid for by the hour or purchased in the packages above which offer bulk-rate discounts. Bulk rates are paid in advance and are non-transferable and non-refundable.
* Bookings are a minimum of 2 hours for standard printing.
* There is a 25% surcharge on making prints of 11 x 14inches and bigger for extra chemical and water usage. For prints exceeding 16 x 20 inches the price is POA.
* Concessions rates are available to people holding healthcare, pensioner or fulltime student cards.
Saturday, 12pm – 6pm. All other times by appointment.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your booking or for any more information. Feel free to visit Strange Neighbour if you would like to see the darkroom prior to booking.